Ann recently attended an event in parliament to learn more about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning, as part of the Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! parliamentary campaign launch.
At the event, Ann had the opportunity to meet with a number of people who had lost members of their families or suffered themselves from carbon monoxide poisoning. They explained to her that carbon monoxide has no smell, taste or colour, meaning it is easily inhaled, and that it kills up to 40 people a year. Ann also learned more about the lasting impact carbon monoxide exposure can have on people’s health, in many cases causing permanent damage.
Ann said, "With thousands of people affected each year, and symptoms often similar to that of a flu or cold, carbon monoxide poisoning can be difficult to diagnose. So in order to ensure every person in Glasgow North protects themselves and their loved ones, I am urging everybody to buy an audible carbon monoxide alarm."
Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! is the national campaign to reduce the number of deaths and injuries caused by carbon monoxide. The campaign is run by Energy UK on behalf of Britain’s six major gas and electricity companies in partnership with the Dominic Rodgers Trust, and is supported by more than 40 other organisations.
Carbon monoxide is produced when fuels such as gas, oil, charcoal, coal and wood do not burn completely. The most common cause of this is when an appliance, such as a boiler or cooker, is installed incorrectly or poorly maintained. Carbon monoxide can also build up when flues, chimneys or vents are blocked.
The Department of Health estimates that at least 4,000 people are treated in hospital and 40 are killed by carbon monoxide poisoning each year but the true figures are likely to be significantly higher.